Tuesday 29 December 2009

The future is now.....

In the end, Christmas was great fun. Three works parties within five days testified to the spirit within those I've known over the past 17 years at Fort Dunlop while a three-day family Christmas hit just the right note on which to set off on my new career direction.
I leave BPM Media (Midlands) on Thursday and will wake up on January 1 to a new year and a new life. What am I doing? At the moment, I have a 96-page quarterly magazine to edit (first marketing meeting next week), some subbing shifts at another news factory in the Midlands (just to keep my hand in) and the possibility of some marketing work, which will be a fascinating new direction, if nothing else.
And that's it. I have to see the bank next week, I already have an appointment with an accountant (I never thought I'd need one of those) and I have a name for my new business, Martin Warrillow Publishing Services. All I need now is some more work.
I am telling everyone I know that I am setting up as a freelance writer/sub-editor and I can see January being a whirl of networking.
I know it will be hard work, but after 23 years working for big media, I am convinced about the new direction I am taking. Scared? You bet. Enthusiastic? You bet. And I haven't said that about my working life for far too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment