Thursday 7 January 2010

Sailing out into the new world

When I began this blog, I had a wild ambition to update it every day. Then, I got a tweet from a long-time friend and fellow blogger telling me I must be out of my mind.
Of course, she was right and I'm glad I didn't rush to write down some of my thoughts immediately after I left BPM Media Midlands on December 31. It was messy, it was unpleasant and it wasn't the way I wanted to end 17-and-a-half years.
But it's gone now and instead of being bitter, I can look back on the first week of the rest of my life - and it's been fascinating.
Much of the week has been spent getting my head around joint-editing an 88-page A3 quarterly magazine, something I've never had to think about before. The closest I've got was editing the Post's 14-page broadsheet sports section three or four times a year when my boss was on holiday. At least then we had a limited amount of copy coming in; at times this week, I've felt as if I was drowning under the flood of copy landing in my email inbox.
But with the support of my joint-editor Tom Rowland and the outstanding Andrew Welch, as well as the wonderful backing of my friends who I've told about this project, I feel much better tonight.
Martin Warrillow Publishing Services will be officially launched when I see my accountant in the morning, the bank have been very helpful and I am incredibly grateful for the flood of ideas which keeps pouring in from a long-time friend who I am sure would like to stay in the background for the moment. One day, I would love the pair of us to set up in business together - we'd be a great team.

1 comment:

  1. Martin,

    This an experiment, to see if I can coment on a blog... This is all uncharted territory for me.... I like the blog by the way...

    ReplyDelete