Monday 21 December 2009

The office - the final countdown

Tonight sees my final Birmingham Post & Mail (I still can't get used to BPM Media (Midlands)) office party before I step out into the brave new world. There was a time when these were wild affairs where what seemed like several hundred journalists would cram into a city centre pub, drink it dry, then the sports desk contingent would end up being locked in a dodgy hostelry somewhere on the Coventry Road until 4am.
But the general mood isn't like that any more and it would be most unwise for me to try, given the side-effects of my anti-epilepsy tablets.
So instead, it'll probably be a steady drink or four over a plate of curry before getting the last train home. I won't enjoy it any less, though, as it gives me the chance to say a first farewell to people with whom I've spent more hours than I care to remember over the last 17 years. There will, of course, be a proper leaving party of my own early in 2010 but first I want to get the festivities over and my new life under way.
Let's hope tonight's a good one, as the song almost says - and at least they sell real ale.

No comments:

Post a Comment