Thursday 17 December 2009

If you want to walk on water, you've got to get out of the boat

After 23 years working in the warming bosom of big media businesses, I've decided to venture out on my own - and this blog is one of my big steps into the unknown.
Those 23 years, spent with the Tamworth Herald (4), the Sutton Coldfield Observer (2) and the Birmingham Post & Mail (the last 17), have given me wide experience of the newspaper world. I've been a sports writer and sub-editor, I've managed sports and news desks, I've written travel and news features and reviews.
For the last four years, I've been the joint-father of the National Union of Journalists chapel at the Post & Mail and a member of the staff forum.
Outside work, I'm a loyal supporter of Tamworth Football Club (I write a column in the matchday programme called "Behind The Away Dugout"), a former editor of the branch magazine for the Lichfield, Sutton and Tamworth branch of the Campaign for Real Ale, a keen sports fan and observer of politics.
I'm looking on my new venture as the kind of career opportunity that doesn't happen very often. It's up to me to make the most of it, but knowing that someone out there is reading these ramblings would be a start.

5 comments:

  1. I'm reading what you are writing Martin! I've been blogging for a few years now and at first it can feel like you are just talking to yourself but trust me 'you write it and they will come'!!
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Anice - I've got to start somewhere! I've also set up a website here

    http://martinpw.wordpress.com/ which looks rubbish at the moment, because I haven't had time to play with properly. When I leave here, a fortnight today, I'll have the time, hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm here as well Martin! That first step is always the big one. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck Martin, you'll be fine, I'm sure of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all. I wondered about still being The Red Postman, but The Red Ex-Postman didn't feel quite right and I didn't want to morph into someone else after all these years

    ReplyDelete